Thursday, February 22, 2007

" . . plant gardens and eat what they produce . . ." Jeremiah 29:5

Now that the garden is tilled, it's time to get those seedlings going! Today I started my seeds indoors in a "Jiffy Greenhouse" that I purchased at Walmart. It contains 72 little peat pots and a clear roof to keep the heat and moisture contained. It allows for the seeds to sprout, and be hardened off all in the same container and then transferred to the garden without disturbing the roots.
I started three types of tomatoes, Beefsteak, Big Boy and Roma. I do have some lovely heirloom varieties that I'll be ordering soon as well. I plan on starting seeds about every 3 weeks so that we can have a continual harvest of tomatoes all season long. I want lots to can as well as give away to our wonderful neighbors.
I also started seeds for an herb garden. I planted sweet and lemon basil, garlic chives, oregano, sage and dill. I'll purchase a rosemary, cilantro and thyme from the nursery.
The "greenhouse" is now sitting in my VERY sunny laundry room atop the dryer! It'll probably turn into a science lesson or two for the kids. The boys were amazed at all the different seed shapes, and I think they'll love seeing the plants grow and helping in the garden. If nothing else, I hope it makes them have more of an interest in eating their veggies knowing that they helped to grow them.....but knowing my kids....probably not!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: