Friday, April 25, 2008

I'm gonna git you sucka!



I'm not talking about the totally HILARIOUS 1980's blaxsploitation film, which you should definitely rent sometime, I'm talking about suckers on tomato plants!
I read about these little things in a gardening book Doug bought for me. These suckers grow in between the main stems of you tomato plants and literally suck energy and nutrients away from your precious tomatoes!

You can leave the plants alone and nothing earth shattering will happen. The suckers themselves will grow and produce flowers. The result is that your plants will have a large quantity of fruits of small to average size. If you pluck your suckers off, the nutrients feed the main stems. This results in fewer fruits, but they are BIG since all of the good stuff goes to making the tomato! I have eleven tomato plants and I'm going to pluck suckers off of six of them. I'll come back in a few weeks and compare tomato sizes.

No comments: