Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another reason to grow your own!

A very interesting article on why not to buy organic.
I HATE going to the grocery store these days and examples mentioned in the article are reasons why! We are so blessed to be able to have the space to grow our own food. I thank God each time I pick a tomato because I know I'm not feeding my family pesticides or bacteria laden foods. We are not organic, whole foods Nazis by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to be able to control the quality of the food that gets to our table.
I am seriously planning our year round garden. There is no reason for this to just be a seasonal thing for us. Texas gardens are sustainable year round since our winters are so mild. I do know that this week our corn patch is getting pulled up and put into the compost pile to make way for a pumpkin patch. I'm also going to plant another row or two of new tomato plants and may replant some squash seeds. Fall garden seeds get their early start in August, and I'm ordering extra varieties NOW!
I'm off to the library today after Mass to research year round gardening! I might as well pick up some books on preserving food (canning), too, since all I know how to preserve is pickles and salsa!

No comments: