Tuesday, December 30, 2008

French Bread (in the food processor!)

This recipe has changed the way I bake my dinner breads! No more kneading and double rises with this method! You can have a delicious loaf of hot, crusty french bread in under two hours (rather than two days) start to finish.

The original recipe appeared in Bon Appetit Magazine, April 1979!

Food Processor French Bread

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water, 110-115 degrees
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup water, 110-115 degrees

Directions:

Combine 1/2 cup cup water, 1 1/2 Tbls yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar in food processor bowl, let sit 5 minutes to proof.
If you are using instant yeast you can skip the proofing time.
Add 3 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, process for 30 secs.
I wanted a healthier version so here are my changes: Out of the 3 1/4 cups of flour I used 1 1/4 cups whole wheat. I also added 2T. of ground flax seeds and 2T. of wheat germ.

Slowly add 1 cup of water with the processor running, once dough comes together process mix for 1 minute.

I've made this bread several times and have NEVER used the whole cup of water. I usually end up only using 3/4C. by the time the dough comes together.
You can divide the dough in half for two small loaves or you can make one large loaf. Press the dough out in a long rectangle. Starting at one of the long ends, roll the dough into a log and place seam side down.
Make 3-4 slashes with a sharp knife along the top of the loaf. Let rise for 40-60 minutes until doubled.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Just before putting your loaf in the oven, throw 3-4 ice cubes in the bottom of your oven or you can spray your loaf with water before going in. The steam that is created makes a nice chewy crust!
Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees then lower the temperature to 400 degrees bake 15 minutes more.

Resist the urge to cut this right out of the oven!!! The heat inside the loaf helps to steam the crust to make an awesome french loaf!

This really is a no fail loaf!
Try putting in fresh herbs, olives, cheese etc...
Enjoy!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I am not a baker, and bread is the scariest thing of all to bake - but, I do love my food processor so I am going to brave this one!!

MamaEscandon said...

JoAnn, I tried this today! It looks like it might be coming together pretty well. I am excited to try it... but my food processor broke just as it was finishing up. :o( I am on the look out on Freecycle for a new one now since I use it about 3-4 times a week!