Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The end of summer...

Despite the 98+ degree temps daily, I can feel this season coming to a close.

The garden is spent with the exception of my pepper and eggplant plants who LOVE the hot Texas summer! It finally got weeded and I cut back all my tomato plants. I'm hoping they'll grow back and give me another harvest before the end of November. I am hoping this because of the heirloom varieties I planted. Each of the base stalks were very thick and healthy and had lots of new growth up top. I can't find anything on the internet about regrowth after cutting them back.
If they don't grow back, that's fine. We've got plenty saved up in the freezer and lots more seeds for next year.

The little birds have eaten the last of the sunflowers.
Just empty hulls and dried heads remain.


And trips to the pool are getting fewer and fewer. There's too much to do with work and getting ready for a new school year. But I still love the sight of beach towels and swim suits drying in the sun!

Yeah, I'm definitely ready for this season to move on!
Bring on the Fall....and cooler temperatures....PLEASE?

1 comment:

Therese said...

oh I am ready for summer. I love the long lazy days.

Cannot wait to start our tomato plants, cucumber, lettuce and corn. We are hoping to do a heap of canning this summer too.