Friday, June 18, 2010

Meatless Fridays

My kids love anything stuffed into a pita pocket. I occasionally make our own pita bread, check out my tutorial HERE. When I make them, I make a LOT and freeze them. They are super easy to warm up in the toaster.
In an attempt to use the oven less this summer, I thought I'd use this very versatile recipe to fill our pita with. By using lots of healthy "fillers" I can fool my kids into eating better!
Serve with a fruit salad for the perfect summer dinner.
This week's Meatless Friday meal is:

Tuna Salad Stuffed Pita



2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins, dried cranberries, or fresh grapes cut in half
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/3 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
(Optional: green onion, chopped celery, celery seed, shredded carrot, green peas, curry powder, or cucumber)

You know, for the majority of my life I was a tuna salad purist. Just tuna, mayo, relish and egg ~ THAT'S IT! But in my old age I've really come to enjoy the complex flavors of adding everything under the sun to my tuna salad!
Give it a try!

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and chill for half an hour to let the flavors marry. Stuff pita pockets with lettuce leaf, tomato, and fill with tuna salad.

No comments: