Monday, September 27, 2010

Garden Spheres

I simply adore garden spheres, especially the old concrete mossy ones! I set out to find a way to make my own inexpensively, and it all began at the thrift store.
When I went browsing last week I came across these two glass bowls. I thought they were the perfect shape and size to make the spheres, and at fifty cents each it wouldn't be a waste in case it didn't work right!

So I came home and mixed up a batch of Quickrete....man I love that stuff! I filled the bowls to the top but sometime that afternoon little hands got into the still wet concrete.

The worst part is the waiting!!! I'm a girl of instant gratification!
Anyway, I let these sit for 24 hours and then slowly hammered the glass away over a trash can. Use safety precautions like eye wear and gloves...you don't want anyone ending up in the ER!

I think they turned out wonderfully! I'm going to paint them with a 50/50 yogurt and water wash and set them in the garden. The yogurt cultures will attract natural yeasts and other organisms in the air and they will grow a lovely mossy "patina".

Now to find them a spot in the garden before the boys are tempted to use them as bowling balls!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your idea...great and inexpensive...this is a few months later and we are sitting here looking at snow this AM with a school delay...so I am dreaming of Spring and gardens!
Might you have a pic of the orbs with moss...did it 'happen?'
Ti