Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Finishing projects week!

This week I am going to finish my rag rug!



As a child, I remember laying on the floor by the fireplace on a rug very similar to this one. It was one of those old fashioned braided rugs. I was Googling how to make one when I came across a version called "toothbrush rugs". I was intrigued so I clicked on the link. All I can say is WOW! So very simple that I wish I had discovered it years ago!
By now everyone knows about my love of vintage sheets. I used two of them (stained and with holes) to make this rug. You just tear the sheet into one inch strips and thread them through, kind of like crochet, with the end of a toothbrush...or in my case, the rounded end of a coat hanger! You can make these rugs out of anything, old sweaters, t-shirts, or jeans. This process is incredibly FAST and you can mindlessly do it while watching tv.

This little beauty is going in front of the sink in my bathroom.
Stay tuned all week for the all the little projects around the house I'm trying to finish up before going back to work full time!

For all you could ever want to know about toothbrush rugs, check out this site:
RAGRUGCAFE.COM
There are wonderful written directions as well as YouTube videos about the process!

No comments: