Friday, October 8, 2010

Meatless Fridays

I've never tried falafel but it sounded really good! Once I found out I could make them in a crock pot I knew I had to give them a try. This recipe was really easy and they came out very flavorful, even the kids enjoyed them. We'll definitely have this one again.
This week's Meatless Friday meal is:


Crock Pot Falafel



This recipe is from 'A Year of Slow Cooking'



1 15oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T dried parsley
2 cloves minced garlic
1 egg
1 t kosher salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1/4 t cayenne pepper
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko...I LOVE Panko!)
2 T olive oil (for the bottom of your crock)


I used my food processor to mix all the ingredients together,
it's easy and only dirties one dish.
If you don't have a food processor, drain the chickpeas and smash them with a fork. Also, chop the onion really fine and mix in the remaining ingredients except the olive oil. The mixture should be wet and slightly sticky. Form the mix into golf ball size and flatten.


Pour 2 T of olive oil into the bottom of your crockpot stoneware insert.

Dip each side of the falafel into the olive oil and then nestle into your crockpot. It's okay if they overlap or are on top of each other.

Cook on high for 2-5 hours. Ours cooked on high for 3.5 hours--you will know that the falafels are done when they turn brownish-golden. You can flip them halfway through the cooking time if you feel like it, but they will brown on top even without flipping.

Serve with tzatziki, ranch dressing, or sour cream in a warm pita with lettuce and tomato.


No comments: